Wednesday, April 23, 2014

IN PRINT: Toyin Odutola / Modern Painters / April 2014

Toyin Odutola photographed in 2011 by Brannan McGill. 
Portraits of the Artist
Toyin Odutola’s rich figures

Text | Michael Slenske

Excerpt: 
As an early adopter of Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram, Odutola has embraced social media in a way few artists have. At the same time, she’s also grown weary of the brazenness some of her followers exhibit on her feeds. “The social media bit is really about documenting process. I like the dialogue if it’s constructive, but I’m not at a crossroads. I’ve accumulated a lot of followers, and it’s great, but I’m also at the teetering point where people are feeling themselves a little too much, commenting a little too much,” says Odutola, noting some followers who’ve attempted to weigh in a bit too emphatically on color choices and themes in her works. “I just feel like that’s not what I’m doing this for, and if they don’t stop I’ll just get off it.”



Toyin Odutola, Hold It In Your Mouth a Little Longer, 2013. Charcoal, pastel, and graphite on paper, 40 x 30 inches.

To read complete story and see more images pick up a copy of the April 2014 issue of Modern Painters on newsstands now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment