Thursday, August 28, 2014

COVER: Alex Bradley Cohen / New American Paintings / Midwest #113 / August-September 2014

Alex Bradley Cohen, Summertime, Acrylic on canvas, 40 x 44 inches. 

Artist statement:
My art is an extension of myself. It is everything I see and feel in the world. It is my play, it is my diary, it is my friend. It is a ritual that is part of my existence.
My art is narrative. My art is abstract.
I go about making art the same way a kid would stroll through the part. I collect visual objects, emotions, ideas, and feelings throughout the day. With this collection of information, I begin to create a narrative for the world around me. 
I like working in water-based mediums, finding that accessible materials bring me much pleasure. I like painting pictures of my friends, family, sitcoms, and historical events. I also like drawing and playing with ceramics. Through these mediums, I explore abstraction. Abstraction allows for play as well as a new world my narrations can exist in.




Pick up a copy of the August/September 2014 issue of New American Paintings on newsstands now or order online here.



No comments:

Post a Comment