Monday, March 12, 2012

COVER: April Dobbins / Calyx / Winter 2012

April Dobbins, Aunt Pearl's Waternelon #1, digital photograph.


The Winter 2012 of CALYX Journal features a diverse collection of new poetry, fiction, essays, books reviews and full-color art by women artists and authors including Tamiko Beyer, Eugenia Leigh, Wendy Breuer, and Bethany Reid, winner of the 2011 Lois Cranston Memorial Poetry Prize. The cover art comes from photographer April Dobbins. Readers will find an surprising array of themes and subjects explored in this issue including women in the military, queer identity, aging, sexual abuse, and personal empowerment.


April Dobbins, Self Portrait, Spring, Digital photograph.


Statement from April Dobbins:

I started my career as a writer, but even in my stories, I linger in the visual. Though I have no formal training in photography, it has been a natural progression. A move back to my birthplace in the rural South has sparked my interest in the balance between insider/outsider perspectives.
April Dobbins, Aunt Pearl's Watermelon #2, Digital photograph.

Pick up a copy of Calyx's Winter 2012 issue or order online here.


No comments:

Post a Comment