Glenn Ligon’s midcareer retrospective Glenn Ligon: America is the cover story of the May 2011 edition of Art in America magazine. (Click here to read article “Stranger in America” by Carly Berwick online.)
Additional articles featuring and/or mentioning black visual artists:
· Kara Walker Q&A with Steel Stillman about “her personal background, the evolution of her well-known cut-paper pieces and films, and how issues of gender and race have informed her latest text-based works.”
· Dawoud Bey’s blog is mentioned by Peter Plagens in “Mamas, Don’t Let Your Artists Grow Up To Be Critics” an essay about artists who write critical art reviews.
· Nick Cave cited in Faye Hirsch’s article “The Everyone Artwork” which argues “the advantages, and the pitfalls, of digital democratization.” (Click here to read online.)
· David Hammons exhibit at L&H Arts reviewed by Kristen Swenson. (Click here to read online.)
· Valerie Cassel Oliver, senior curator at the Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston is mentioned in the ArtWorld column.
· Holly Hotchner, Director of the Museum of Arts & Design, NY writes a letter to the editor responding to the publication’s unfair commentary regarding MAD’s recent exhibit “The Global Africa Project.”