Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DECODED: Jay-Z Book Fronts Andy Warhol

Decoded graphic design link added 08/04/11.

(AllHipHop News)
The artwork of Andy Warhol fronts the dust jacket to Decoded (Spiegel & Grau, $35) an autobiography of sorts by Hip-Hop icon Jay-Z. The 336-page tome is hyped by the publisher as “a book like no other: a collection of lyrics and their meanings that together tell the story of a culture, an art form, a moment in history, and one of the most provocative and successful artists of our time.”

So how did a Warhol jockey the cover? Jay-Z -- who's estimated worth is at least $400 million -- started collecting art around 2005. Since then he has acquired several expensive works including Warhol originals. In 1984, the artist produced a series of paintings inspired by Swiss psychiatrist Hermann Rorschach's inkblot tests.

“I got into art about 5 years ago or so. I got a couple [of Warhol's]. I have one of the Rorschach’s over the fireplace in my living room,” Jay-Z (whose real name is Shawn Carter) recently explained on The Howard Stern Show. “It's all about art. I try to buy things that resonate with me. I have everything from Andy Warhol to Tim Noble to Sue Simmons, who are new. I have an Ed Ruscha, David Hammons, whether it makes a ton of money for me or not.”

According to Jay-Z, his appreciation of Warhol's talent helped him acquire rights to use the iconic painter's art for Decoded

“We called the Andy Warhol estate, they cleared it in one day which was amazing,” Jay-Z revealed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment